Keyhole Surgery for Slip Disc (Disc Prolapse)
‘Keyhole surgery’ is an advanced technique that has brought a revolution in the field of spinal surgeries. The procedure is now widely performed in the best spine hospitals in India. As the name indicates, the term is used for a small size incision made in the spine during the surgery.
What is slip disc: Slip disc is also known as ‘herniated disc’. Our spine has bones that are called vertebrae. Between each vertebra, there are protective shock-absorbing pads. These pads are known as discs. Each disc has two parts. The outer part is a tough ring, and the inner part contains the soft gelatinous substance. Due to aging, or an injury, the inner gel may come out and cause protrusion in the outer ring. This condition is slipped or herniated or prolapsed disc.
Being one of the most common reasons for backache, slip disc mostly occurs in people aging between 30 to 50 years old. The best spine hospitals in Gurgaon estimate that one in twenty people with backache have slipped discs, and around 10 percent of them have to go through surgery.
Causes of slip disc:
- Wear and tear
- Random movements like twisting and turning
- Lifting heavyweights
- Poor lifestyle
Risks associated with slip disc: If you have been diagnosed with a slipped disc, it is recommended to visit the surgeon and get treatment at the earlier stage. With best spine hospitals in India, it is now easier to get quality care with multiple options to choose from. An unnecessary delay may damage the nerves and an irreversible paralysis may happen.
Keyhole surgery: The advancement in the medical field and its technologies have given birth to keyhole surgery. The other name for keyhole surgery is ‘minimally invasive spine surgery’. The slit is made by the surgeon to access the affected areas of the spine. Traditionally, large incisions were made in the back surgery.
Advantages of Keyhole Surgery:
Some of the best spine hospitals in Gurgaon have made India a popular choice in the whole world. The chief characteristics of this surgery are the following:
- The incision is even less than 1 inch. For this reason, the scarring is negligible.
- It is an outpatient procedure. That means the patient doesn’t have to stay overnight, at the hospital. You can get operated, and simply go home the same day.
- The muscle tissues involved in the surgery are pushed aside rather than disrupted. As a result, healing is faster and less painful.
- The surgery does not take more than 60 minutes. The infection rate is lesser as compared to traditional spinal surgeries, which made the body more vulnerable to infections.
- There are two types of minimally invasive surgeries available, depending upon the severity of damages caused in the spine.
- Due to such a fine incision, the recovery period is very short. The patients can resume their work-life within few months. The patient satisfaction rate is very high too.
If you are suffering from spinal problems, there are many best spine hospitals in India to choose from. Earlier diagnosis of the problem makes the treatment easier and a lot smoother for everybody.