What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition of the hand where one of the nerves called the median nerve passing through the wrist supplying the hand is compressed due to continuous pressure. It can lead to numbness, tingling, weakness or muscle damage in the hand and fingers.
Common in people performing repetitive movements of hand and wrist like:
- Computer operators
- Housemaids doing cleaning work
- People who are obese or suffering from gout/ rheumatoid
arthritis/ diabetes are more prone
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel
- Pain in the wrist and hand, exacerbating on movement
- Numbness and tingling in the palm and thumb
- Excruciating pain on fine finger movements
- Not able to grip objects due to pain
- Take frequent breaks.
- Keep your wrists in a natural position.
- Perform stretching exercises.
- Use tools designed to reduce wrist injury at the workplace.
- Stop smoking.
- Regular exercise to make your muscles strong.
- Use wrist braces to support your wrist.