Scoliosis treatment in India
Scoliosis Treatment in India: Types, Costs, and Top Surgeons
Are you or someone you know experiencing scoliosis? Scoliosis is a medical condition where the spine has an abnormal curvature, causing discomfort and sometimes leading to more severe health issues. Fortunately, scoliosis treatment is available in India, where many expert neurosurgeons offer world-class treatment options.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about scoliosis treatment in India, including types of treatment, costs, and the best doctors for scoliosis treatment.
Scoliosis is a medical condition where the spine has an abnormal curvature, making it look like a "C" or "S" shape. This abnormal curvature can cause discomfort and pain in the back, neck, and shoulders, and may also cause difficulty breathing.
Scoliosis can affect anyone at any age, but it is most commonly found in children during their growth spurt period. In some cases, scoliosis can worsen over time and lead to more severe health issues, such as respiratory problems or heart disease.
There are different types of scoliosis, including:
- Congenital scoliosis: This type of scoliosis is present at birth and is caused by abnormal spinal development.
- Neuromuscular scoliosis: This type of scoliosis is caused by a neuromuscular disorder, such as cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy.
- Idiopathic scoliosis: This type of scoliosis is the most common and has no known cause.
Scoliosis Treatment Options in India
The treatment options for scoliosis depend on the severity of the condition. In mild cases, scoliosis can be treated through physical therapy or the use of braces. However, in more severe cases, surgery may be necessary to correct the curvature of the spine.
Here are some of the scoliosis treatment options available in India:
Bracing is a non-surgical option for treating scoliosis. The goal of bracing is to prevent the curve from progressing and avoid the need for surgery. Bracing is usually recommended for children who are still growing and have a curve between 25-45 degrees.
There are different types of braces available, such as:
- Milwaukee brace
- Boston brace
- Charleston bending brace
- TLSO (Thoracolumbosacral Orthosis) brace
The type of brace used will depend on the severity and location of the curve.
Surgery is usually recommended for severe cases of scoliosis where the curve is greater than 45 degrees. The goal of scoliosis surgery is to correct the curvature of the spine, prevent the curve from progressing, and reduce pain.
There are different types of scoliosis surgery, including:
- Spinal fusion: This surgery involves connecting two or more vertebrae together to straighten the spine.
- Rod insertion: In this surgery, rods are inserted into the spine to straighten the curve.
- Vertebral body tethering: This is a newer type of surgery that involves placing a tether on the concave side of the curve to straighten the spine.
Physical therapy can help reduce pain and improve mobility in patients with scoliosis. Physical therapy may involve stretching, strength training, and other exercises that help improve posture and reduce discomfort.
Consult Dr. Arun Saroha, an expert back pain treatment doctor in India
Get the best back pain treatment consultation